31 July - Santiago de Compostela
I'm really aclimatising to the Spanish lifestyle - late nights and sleeping late - 9am today. Feeling great and reenergised.
Today I explored the Old Town, soaking up the atmosphere, loving the history and the people. Even cats do the Camino 😹
Visited two churches:
Church of the Convent of San Francisco
Attended the evening Pilgrim's Mass at Inglesis de San Fiz de Solovio, as the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela is under restoration.
Although Mass was said in Spanish I was able to follow and said the prayers in English while those around me were speaking Spanish.
Today I explored the Old Town, soaking up the atmosphere, loving the history and the people. Even cats do the Camino 😹
Visited two churches:
Church of the Convent of San Francisco
Attended the evening Pilgrim's Mass at Inglesis de San Fiz de Solovio, as the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela is under restoration.
Although Mass was said in Spanish I was able to follow and said the prayers in English while those around me were speaking Spanish.
I will have to time my next trip when renovations are done. I'm sure it will be spectacular to see the Botifumeto in action. Still very fortunate that pilgrims can go inside the Cathedral and down to the apostle's crypt and hug the 13th century bust of St James. Tradition dictates that you give the bust a wide hug as you say your prayer and wish.
Pilgrims queue for about an hour:
Walking the Camino has shown me what is important in life. The exchanges that you have with people from all over the world, from all walks of life are a gift. It tests your limits, it teaches you resilience and stamina.
Tomorrow a new adventure awaits as I head to Porto, Portugal.











Comments
Post a Comment